A conscious or subconscious awareness of existing independently as a unique and potentially autonomous human being and of what intrinsically comes with it in your daily life.
Another way of defining Sense of Self: The subconscious awareness of who you are, of the way you experience your own being, and of what you use to indicate to yourself that you exist.
What is the difference between Self and Sense-of-Self? In other words, can there be a Self (identity, being) within our psyche that we do not have a sense (awareness) of? We note that awareness of your Self is a distinct different process from the existence within your psyche and/or body of such an identity or Being.
This method analyzes Sense of Self, or Self for that matter, dividing it into six components or layers of awareness of Self. The deepest layers are not usually accessible to-, nor recognizable though ordinary consciousness.
There are three versions of Sense of Self analyzed at length in this Method:
– The normal, healthy, natural … Natural Sense of Self or NatSoS
– The unhealthy and distorted … Substitute Sense of Self or SSoS
– The result of healing from an unhealthy distorted Sense of Self … Restored Sense of Self or RestSoS.
Read more related posts
- Here’s What You Need to Do for Yourself This Holiday Season It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Unless you dread the inevitable holiday stress, that is. You’ve been working hard to restore your healthy Sense of Self all year long, and you’ve come a long way with your self-care practice.
But when the pressures of the season catch up to you—gift buying, trip planning, hosting ...
- Why Do Some People Never Suffer from Depression? Have you ever wondered why some people never suffer from depression?
Confronted with some of life’s upsetting experiences (i.e., marriage breakdown, unemployment, bereavement, failure of any kind) many people suffer from depression. But others don’t. Why is this?
I’ve been studying myself and my thoughts for over 30 years – wanting to understand a debilitating depression that ...
- Is Your Stressful Vacation an Opportunity for Growth?
What Happens to You During a Stressful Vacation?
I recently traveled halfway across the country to visit extended family whom I hadn’t seen in years. I felt anxious at the prospect of getting reacquainted with several people at once. At the same time, I felt virtuous (look at me, making an effort!).
But instead of enjoying some ...
- How Self-Love Saved My Life When Nothing Else Could This is the story of my journey to self-love.
My father divorced my mother when I was three. She was left devastated and depressed. She had no self-love to help her bounce back from the divorce.
I was put in front of the television to watch cartoons for hours at a time, day after day. Sometimes she ...
- 5 New Insights to Help You Overcome Impostor Syndrome Impostor Syndrome Happens to the Best of Us
I have been scared of writing for years, but I didn’t always feel this way. When I was in elementary school, I wrote compulsively: plays, short stories, poetry, even the start of a novel. I read voraciously, and all the public librarians knew me by name. My parents ...
- How to Align Your Vision for Personal Success with Your Values What does your vision for personal success look like?
The definition of personal success is different for everyone, right? So to define yours, imagine that you’re on your deathbed. You have lived to old age, and your exhausted body is succumbing, breath by breath, to the decisive blow.
In your final interval of clarity, you take the ...
- How to Learn and Embrace Your True Purpose You’ll find your true purpose when you discover your true Self.
Has anyone seen the new Wonder Woman movie yet? I loved it. It boasted a well-paced story, fun stunts, and a welcome multidimensional female lead. Reviewers have described the film as buoyant, inspiring, and empowering.
But even though I enjoyed the movie, I didn’t leave ...
- Curriculum Considerations for a Healthy Sense of Self in Schools Are schools doing anything about childhood development outside of the classroom?
We are not confident that the leadership from our new Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos, will help. Her guiding policies have been “any school but a public school is better” and her employment history in Detroit attests to that. Sadly, nontraditional schools in Detroit are ...
- How to Set Clear Objectives for Yourself People with a Healthy Sense of Self have many advantages. The art of setting clear objectives is one of them. If you don’t have to spend a lot of time and energy finding your Self, you have lots of spare time, attention, and energy to fine tune the issues in your life. That pays off.
- Do You Use Creative Visualization for a Healthy Sense of Self? Have you ever heard someone say they were using visualization and affirmations to “manifest” things in their life? What does that even mean? To find out how you too can create the life you want using these techniques, keep reading.
What does it mean to practice creative visualization?
Creative visualization is exactly what it sounds like: using ...